Friday 22 January 2016

Interview with John Birch



As Part of my university project, we were given the task to interview artists and illustrators of our choice to ask them what its like to be a freelance artist, or when they started getting noticed or what they like best about doing their job. We got together in groups and decided on a few questions to ask these illustrators/ artists about their life as artists and we got some really good/ helpful and inspiring responses.




Is your commissioned work different than your personal work?


No, my commissions have been ask for in the same style, the painting may be of a different setting but they want it painted in the style that I use.


Has your work developed over the year and how so?

Yes, Over the years my style has changed, the more you paint the more you can experiment with paint and textures, It’s all about painting as much as you can and learning how to use your medium.
    

When did you start getting noticed?

Since joining groups and doing artist trails etc. This got me in to galleries in the North West and Cornwall, you never know who comes to an event. You may not sell work there and then but weeks months later you get invites. I have had 3 exhibitions from one art trail.


What work do you like to produce?

I paint mainly with acrylics, many layers are applied in order to build up the work. I like to add texture to the work and the drying time of acrylic paint allows me to do this. I use a variety of tools to scrape back layers or scratch in to the surface to reveal the layers below. 
I like to take a lot of photographs and while out walking I sketch the different landscapes, flowers and birds. These together with everyday objects give me the inspiration and the ideas I use in the different pieces of work. I aim to create pieces of work that are bright, colourful and vibrant.


What would you do on an average day of work?

I work on several paintings at a time, I am happy if I produce 1 -2 paintings a week.
    


What has been your favourite project so far and why?

I would have to say the painting I did after visiting Nice in France, I found a flower market and a fish market next door to each other, I decided to use the Sardine tins from the fish market and the Olive oil tins and combine them to paint some pictures that where full of colour. You always need to be on the lookout for something that people are not doing and seeing the colourful flowers and the brightly presented fish tins worked for me. Here are some examples:








Do you have an tips on being a freelance artist?

You need to get yourself noticed, Social media is very important these days, Facebook, twitter, Blogs etc. Joining a well know group of Artists ids also a good idea. Having a web site also helps, I have had commissions from the site and have been asked to do talks about my work.
  




No comments :

Post a Comment

Share